Sunday, May 13, 2007

Surrey Christian Sojourners First Meeting


On Thursday we had our first meeting of Surrey Christian Sojourners, the spiritual meetup I've been putting together. It was an interesting evening. About the time I got in line at the coffee shop, their coffee grinder broke, adding to my nervousness. So I stood in line for 20 minutes, turning around every time the door opened. It was surprisingly nerve wracking.

3 people arrived, and we discussed Micah 6:8 and it's three-fold directive of justice, mercy, and walking with God. Interestingly enough, all 4 of us are currently involved in serving the homeless in various ways, right here in Surrey!

What was also neat was the group included another church planter, Ron. He currently leads a house-based faith community called Coram Deo here in Surrey. Take a look at their site, it's very cool. As he shared a bit about the spiritual journey he and his wife have been on, we found a lot of common ground. Very exciting! I'll probably check it out next Sunday.

Challenges of the evening - 1. Not everyone spoke English well, and as we read it I realized what I had written on the handout was too complex. I'll need to ensure everone can understand.

2. My overwhelming nervousness! As a 'recovering' shy person, I had a few nerve-wracking moments of going completely blank, and there were some awkward silences. Hopefully, as the group gets to know each other, those will lessen.

Since we're a new group, to help people start sharing I've posted our discussion on a blogger page, so that participants can interact through comments.

Check out the Surrey Christian Sojourners blog.

And check out the Surrey Christian Sojourners Meetup Page.

I'd love to hear feedback from you, my friends and family, as we go along! I hope to hear from you soon!

2 comments:

EternaLee said...

Very cool. Congrats! I guess this proves fellowship can be a GRIND. lol

Anonymous said...

Good job, Nicole, the first time is always the hardest. Sounds like a great discussion. ellie

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence